Thursday, July 9, 2009

homemade hummingbird feeder

Oops I guess this theme is for next week now that I went back to the site to post it there. Oh well we are ahead!
This weeks unplug your kids theme is FAST. A recent issue of Birds and Blooms magazine was all about hummingbirds and it happened to be sitting out giving me the idea to make hummingbird feeders. We gathered out materials and jumped in.

It was really quite easy and we look forward to seeing if they actually attract hummers.

I had some red and pink foam hearts packed away and used them to make a flower shape around the straw because we learned that hummingbirds love the color red. We then glued some red felt polka dots all over then as an extra incentive to visit our sugar water feeders.
Here they are. We don't have them up yet because I couldn't find any sufficient wire to use to hang them. I'll keep you posted as to if they are successful!

1 comment:

The Parenti Family said...

Neat! let us know if they work! We love hummingbirds around here. I never thought to make a feeder. I bought a tiny one that has a suction cup so you can put it on the window and watch, but it's so small, I'm always filling it up. The little buggers come out in the pouring rain even to take a sip. It's a challenge to keep it filled.
Thinking of you all!
love ya's
Jenny P.