Friday, October 23, 2009

Nursery Rhyme Time

I have decided to do something just for Emeline and I'm calling it Nursery Rhyme Time. So far so good. This was our first week. What I did was found this list of rhymes and used the first one which was All Around the Mulberry Bush. I figured out some activities that we could do together based on that rhyme and that was it.
All around the mulberry bush
The monkey chased the weasel.
The monkey thought 'twas all in fun.
Pop! goes the weasel.

A penny for a spool of thread,
A penny for a needle.
That's the way the money goes.
Pop! goes the weasel.

Up and down the City Road,
In and out of the Eagle,
That's the way the money goes.
Pop! goes the weasel.

Half a pound of tuppenney rice,
Half a pound of treacle,
Mix it up and make it nice,
Pop! goes the weasel.

Of course I found a coloring sheet of a monkey and a weasel for her. We also looked at many pictures of monkeys and weasels online. We turned a plant into our mulberry bush and acted out the rhyme.
I also printed off a big penny for her to use.
This money chart has been lying around for a while and she learned to pick out a penny (and other money values).
We also got to use vocabulary words up and down. (It is in the rhyme).
Here she is putting the monkey down.
We practiced "in and out" also.

A pound is mentioned in the rhyme so I thought we could work on heavier and lighter. Here she is picking up a heavier can of oranges.
Good job Emmy that is the lighter one.
We'll see how it goes!?

1 comment:

The Parenti Family said...

Emmy, you are getting so big! Rhyming is sooo fun. It's a big part of my life now and I come home singing all sorts of songs... (my kids really get sick of them after a while, but I sure don't!!!) We do one that I know you would like. It's a greeting called "Wibbley wobbley woo". You say/sing it like this: "wibbley wobbley woo and elephant sat on you, wibbley wobbly wee, an elephant sat on me. Wibbly wobbly (here you rhyme with your name..) Femmy, an elephant sat on Emmy", then you to on to the next person in the house and sing it all over again. The person who's turn it is says the rhyme. FUN FUN!!! (i've been singing it all weekend much to the dismay of C & S...)
Can't wait to see what else you're learning!!!!!
love and miss you!!!
Jenny