Tuesday, April 6, 2010

This is Your Brain in Love


This book was really not what I thought it was going to be. It took a very biological approach to love and sort of left me pining at times. I by no means discredit the expertise of author Dr. Earl Henslin but I just don't believe in medicating the masses (not that he states the masses should be). The book is broken down into sections such as The Scattered Lover, The Overfocused Lover, The Blue Mood Lover...etc. Each section offers a brain scan of such "lover", analysis of that scan, real-life stories, tips strategies and medication used to combat such diagnoses, and then a checklist to evaluate yourself or your spouse to see if either of you fall into that particular category of "lover".


Maybe I'm just not getting it. Maybe I'm too naive. Maybe I'm not educated enough. Maybe I'm just a skeptic. For instance can supplements or medication really help "in hard core sexual addiction"? Can a brain scan really give you clues as well as answers to the problems in marriages? Is it OK to get a scan, realize you are "this or that", be medicated and then hope your problems dissipate? To me marriage is simple. You commit to someone you believe you can spend the rest of your life with. With the Grace of God, the Holy Spirit, and with simple communication skills marriages can be successful. (In my simple-minded opinion.)


The book may help to enlighten those that don't see clearly or are unaware of the areas in their personalities which could use some work. It may be a tool in allowing some to come to realize they do "do this or that" and that "this or that" is harming their marriage. The lists of tips and resources provided could prove very valuable to someone in those shoes.
I am a member of Thomas Nelson’s Book Review Blogger program. For more information please visit http://brb.thomasnelson.com/.

No comments: