Monday, December 21, 2009

Finding Purpose Beyond Our Pain


Finding Purpose Beyond Our Pain is one of the best non-fiction books I have read in a long time. It is written by two Christian psychiatrists and I must admit that psychology has not been one of my favorite areas of study. I say that not because I don’t believe in it but because I think it has brought about a wave of parents that question every move they make for fear of permanently damaging their children. After reading this I have once again gained some newfound respect for the subject.

This book takes a look at “our seven universal struggles” which include: injustice, rejection, loneliness, loss, discipline, failure, and death. As each subject is considered one of the psychiatrists gives a real world example of someone going through the respected pain. Doing this made the book instantly agreeable because I found that I could relate to many of the different examples. Upon further delving into the certain types of pains the authors give you very clear examples of how God is there. It answers those questions that we all have from time to time such as, “Why me?” and “What have I done to deserve this?”. At the closing of each section the real life example is concluded and a neat wrap-up is displayed with questions to ask yourself. This makes a great reference to go back to for quick access.

Overall I thought this book was well thought out and very professionally written. In my opinion it is the perfect book to give to oneself, a close relative or even a casual acquaintance whom we know is experiencing a hardship and may need help seeing the light of God through hard times. I believe that it can also help in fostering the recovery process because it has a sort of overall empowering message which teaches that there is potential to grow and become stronger in our most painful experiences.

No comments: