Friday, October 29, 2010

What is it?




I saw this bird a few days ago and can't for the life of me figure out what it is. I took the pictures from the house in the pouring rain. There were two of them. I didn't see them fly but Brad said he saw them since this day and they were flying. They looked like a big bodies bird with fluffy feathers (saw one shake itself out), and a weird almost beaver looking tail. Of course the tail only looked solid it may not have been. At first glance I said oh a young turkey is coming into the yard. Then after I came to my senses I knew it wasn't a turkey. Then I thought it was chicken, but soon saw its head and noticed it had what looked to be a bill like a duck. We have some people down the road that raise fowl. Maybe something got out. I'm thinking that I discovered a rare new species or perhaps one that was thought to be extinct only to be very, very elusive and only my expert bird watching eyes have spied. :) Help me!! Sorry about the picture quality. I zoomed all the way in and cropped some so it lost some of its clarity. Like I said though, it is from the house through pouring rain.

1 comment:

The Parenti Family said...

Interesting!! At first I was thinking a hungarian grouse.. we have them here and they hang around in pairs, but they are not that dark.. so I don't know!! (I don't know much about birds anyway, although I am interested in learning!) I bet your Aunt would know!!
Neat shots!!
Have a good weekend!!
love,
Jenny